Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hero selection and basic tactics

Server
    DE01

Hero selection and basic tactics

Hero selection and basic tactics, updated!
    Updated, sorry for long wait added knight skill pics!

Greetings new players, i know its hard to pick your hero since you have just one (free) slot, so i wanted to help you and show basic gameplay for hero types.

After having some feedback from you guys i decided it would be a good idea to make a few combat videos after DK guide. Zycat allready made one of sandro with his DK, and i will ask other guild members to help me get up some videos so you can see how these tactics work in real time. Please wisp me ingame or send PM on forum if you have more suggestions how to make this a better guide!

In game contact:
    Falusonius, Cleric 30+, Excessum guild
    MalusLupus, DK lvl 30+, Excessum guild

Usefull scrolls

*Scrolls have their own cooldown, so you can cast some spells twice, and many of the scrolls are super strong when used with your own skills!

Regeneration- extra heal, good for champion unit units for clerics
    Sanctuary-same as skill
    Feeble mind- use on poison spiders and other creatures that use damage over time skills
    Rouse-on battle priests or other units with usefull creature skills
    Warlord's command- use it more often in combat

Haven

Cleric update (Thanks to ZeRiddler and other Excessum guild members for great advice and discussion of skills)

So, basicinfo about Cleric is:
    -Haven magic hero (uses spells to buff you units or debuff/damage enemy units)
    -Has one less unit stack then Might heroes but plays several times per turn (Might heroes play only once per turn)
    -Currently strong hero since the unit hp nerf

Abyssal worm weekly boss
    Daeva weekly boss

I will guide you through ability tree and mention my skill selection and use of them. Dont think its the only build, its just the one i like, feel free to try your own if you dont like my play style...

Default army
    My middle/ late game army would be 3x ranged units (blazing or archers, depends on situation, 1x Inquisitors and 1x sun clerics.
    Now at lvl 30 i even go with 5x blazing glories for non boss fights (its faster) and 4x blazing 1x inquisitor for boss fights. Some enemies require special troops like 5x Archers for the the clan chief's last raid when you just target the cyclops and get him down in 2 rounds, but thats special fight...

Righteousness
    My skill selection:
    Searing shield- use on units that use terrain to block enemies and hold them back while ranged units hit from behind (like sentinels etc)
    -Anathema - 30+% less enemy damage for 2 rounds, do i even need to explain?
    -Sunburst -Mass area light damage good vs undeads and other units with weak light rez...
    -Succor- Passive skill that gives rez to your moust wounded stack (read: your choke point sentinels become more tanky for no mana cost )
    -Blindness- good disable skill, with blazing glories you will have 2 blind thats 4 rounds of sitting for one stack (just be carefull not to attack it, attacking wakes them up)

Light

My skill selection:
    -Sanctuary-versatile skill, use on units that guard choke points (if you defend with unit and put sanctuary on it it guards 3 hexes since unit cannot pass by them and they must stop, great for choke points), or maybe you sent you Blazing Glories in the thick of enemies by accident? No problem.
    -Heal core & Heal Elite- A MUST! Heal your dead units in a stack (cannot heal if a whole stack is dead so be carefull not to risk it if you have low number of troops)
    -Pacification- Another disable, and better then blind, you can hit them and they still cant attack you, but they CAN move(not that big of a problem), a MUST in my book.
    I did not use any more skills from this tree but in alternative build you can think about purity & invigorating light (i prefer dispel for removing negative buffs and soul mark for weakening enemies)

Prime

My skill selection:
    -Slow-usual everyday slow keeps units on the other part of the screen until you can shoot them down with ranged. Best cast on begining of battle.
    -Time stasis- Disable group of units for 1 round! Great skill!
    -Soul mark- Does prime dmg and gives stack perma- 25% rez, for those pesky 1 stack super rezilient troops, and it STACKS!
    -Dispel- Remove debuffs from your and buffs from enemy units, area spell

Warfare

My skill selection:
    -Warlord's command- your stack gains additional action in a turn, and since very fast all units become more powerfull than your prime attack this is GOOD
    -Reinforcements -great skill overall, you get another 1/3 troops in a stack, good for celestials/cavaliers for pushing in enemies or on ranged for more dmg!

Offence

My skill selection:
    Rush- your units get +2 movement for 1 turn, no mana cost, great skill, easy to reach those pesky enemy range units very fast...

Defence

My skill selection:
    None

Knight (Thanks to MarkMasters for this build)

As a knight you will valiantly encourage your troops into battle while providing them the support they need. Your troops will make the correct decisions on the battlefield because of the instructions of their great commander.

Default army
    3 ranged (glories/archers), 1 priest, 1 heavy melee (cavalier/seraph), 1 pretorian for tanking (pretorian cuz of heal core, the only heal knights have).

Pro's of the knight:
    - High critical strike chance later
    - 6 stacks of troops compared to the mages 5 stacks

Con's:
    - Only acts once per turn, which makes the decision of that turn very important!
    - Low mana pool

This skill build is completely focused on PVE and lacks some skills that are vital in PVP. Notice that skill builds may differ from player to player. this skill build shines best in the following army setup:
    - A single tank unit (sentinels/praetorians)
    - A single heal unit
    - Multiple ranged/strike and return units
    - One powerful melee unit

Primary skills (should be chosen first)

Rightiousness:
    Skills taken: 1.
    - succour. Increases resistance on most wounded stack. This will be your tanking unit. This skill helps it to last much longer easily.

Light:
    Skills taken: 3
    Heal core: your only heal spell (aside regenration scrolls). You will need it
    Purity: good vs enemies that tend to stun your tank or use nasty spells on your units
    Sanctuary: Great to block choke holes with a friendly unit. Makes an impassable barrier

Warfare:
    - Reinforcements: Helps killing much faster and prevents casualties of your own
    - Taunt: High initative creatures might bypass your tank. This skill is great to force them to attack you for less damage so you can prevent them from attacking weaker stacks. Besides that it prevents the use of nasty abilities of them as well

Offence:
    - Rush: logicaly to reach choke points or enemy ranged creatures faster
    - Inspired assault: greatly increases damage and allows your creatures to act faster then the opposing creatures in some situations (take this skill ASAP!)

Defence:
    - Vengeance: great in combination with the other retaliation skills
    - Counter strike: Allows your tanking unit to strike once more which helps a lot
    - Pre-emptive strike: Perfect against strike and return creatures (such as wyverns) for your stronger stacks (cavaliers/blazing glories/seraphs etc) to kill them before actualy getting harmed.

Secondary picks:
    These skills are good in some sitauations as well. Take them when you still have skill points left

Offence:
    Heroism: Great increases damage for your (reinforced) stack but very costly
    Sundering strike: Requires overwhelm which isnt great, reduces resistances which is good against huge stacks of enemies. But it is still pretty costly.

Warfare:
    Warlords command:
    Good skill, but you can get cheap scrolls for it easily as well

Defiance:+ damage is always nice but it is improved by magic. An attribute which you will avoid mostly as a knight

Rightiousness:
    Searing Shield:Very useful early game because it deals a lot of damage for that moment. Loses potential use later on

Defence:

-Block: Good for your tank unit to endure a lot longer. But for some reason healing is currently reduced as well by it for the duration.
    -Entrench: Very good skill when facing creatures with high iniatitive and you do not mind letting every other creature go first. Also good to bait enemy ranged creatures to come within your range without suffering much losses.
    -Interdiction:Facing a lot of enemies in an open area? With this skill they still will not go for your ranged creatures. Can be very useful in situations like this, on the other hand, there are cheap scrolls avaible as well....

Necropolis

Necromancer (Thanks to Agrathsar, Excessum Guild Leader, for this build)

Basic difference between Cleric (Haven magic hero) and Necromancer is that Necromancer has got more heal abilities and Cleric has more disable and crowd control spells.
    As a magic hero necromancer has one less stack then might heroes, but plays several times per turn
    Like Cleric, he uses spells to debuff control enemies and kill, and buff your units(heal, life steal, etc).

Default army
    1 weaver, 1 ghost, 3xliches

Necromancy

Abilities of choice:
    -Reanimate Core & Reanimate Elite- a MUST, primary heal skills
    Raise dead- Passive ability that improves your healing, good passive skill and requirement for next two skills.
    -Life drain- heals the unit stack based on % of damage done. This is one great spell since you can cast it on your champion units and when they attack, they heal, this is one big advantage for Necro vs Cleric (Clerics dont have any way to heal champion units except battle priests and scrolls).
    -Curse of the Netherworld- Mass heal ALL your units and darkness damage to ALL enemies!

Darkness

Abilities of choice:
    Torpor-Skill similar to Blind, was nerfed but still usefull
    Weakness Mass- on max lvl almoust 50% debuff melee and ranged might damage, works on some bosses.
    Night Shroud- Slows down ALL enemy units, and it stacks with slow!
    For whom the bell tolls - usefull for enemies you dont want to be close to, after cooldown it destroys ENITIRE stack!Combo is best done with night shroud/slow at 1st turn (if unit is fast) on 3rd turn cast torpor on it and if its very fast cast stasis at the end of 4th turn and then slow again/nigh shroud. Its posible to kill twice in a battle if you abuse rouse cd reset from scrolls.

Prime

Abilities of choice:
    Slow- usual everyday slow keeps units on the other part of the screen until you can shoot them down with ranged. Best cast on begining of battle.
    Soul Mark - Does prime dmg and gives stack perma- on max lvl -35% creature rez
    Dispel Magic - Remove debuffs from your and buffs from enemy units, area spell

Warfare

Abilities of choice:
    Warlord's command- your stack gains additional action in a turn, and since very fast all units become more powerfull than your prime attack this is great, stacks with scrolls and other player's warlord's so same unit can attack multiple times!
    Reinforcements - best cast on spinners on defensive, and great skill overall, you get another 1/3 troops in a stack!

Offence

Abilities of choice:
    Rush- Grant your units +2 movement for 1 turn, great for reaching enemy ranged for your slower troops, and overall battlefield mobility skill!

Defence

Abilities of choice:
    Block- Damage negation that really shines at endgame (high levels), example spinners when they block- a MUST!

Death Knight (Thanks to Zycat for this build)

Pro's of the Death knight:
    - High critical strike chance later
    - 6 stacks of troops compared to the mages 5 stacks
    Con's:
    - Only acts once per turn
    - Low mana pool

Default army
    2 ghost,2 liches, 2 weavers

Zycat battling Sandro
    *Note that Zycat used hero seals to reset abilities once he got strong enough units late in the game. If you do not want to spend hero seals or you are having problems in the begining of the game drop Mighty and Maiming strike and use Reanimate core and Soul mark instead!

Necromancy

Abilities of choice:
    Raise dead- prereq for life drain, buffs healing spells after stack dies in combat
    Life Drain- use on damaged troops or ones that will likely get hit (usualy weavers or liches) so they can heal on attack

Darkness

Abilities of choice:
    Torpor- used like blind, when you want to get a dangerous stack of units out of combat for 2 rounds. Have in mind if you attack it before, it stops, but stack does NOT retaliate!
    Purge- only kind of dispel the DK has, use on void armor, retribution and similar enemy buffs. Always have few of dispel scrolls with you for dire situations.

Warfare

Abilities of choice:
    Warlord's command- your stack gains additional action in a turn, and since very fast all units become more powerfull than your prime attack this is great, stacks with scrolls and other player's warlord's so same unit can attack multiple times!
    Reinforcements - best cast on spinners on defensive, and great skill overall, you get another 1/3 troops in a stack!
    Taunt- used on weavers, their baleful gaze procs on taunt, or on vamps when hitting live things. Idea is to prevent liches from getting hit when melee or ranged melee(hit and run like griffins) get close.
    Long shot- outdistance wyverns and other attack and returns and for hunting down enemy ranged units.
    Intimidation- prereq for Desolation
    Desolation- enemy debuff (-rez and -dmg), does not get stronger if you kill a stack after casting, only killing stacks before counts, cast mostly after 2 stack are dead so it gets pumped enough.

Offence

Abilities of choice:
    Rush- Grant your units +2 movement for 1 turn, great for reaching enemy ranged for your slower troops, and overall battlefield mobility skill!
    Inspired assault- greatly increases damage and allows your creatures to act faster then the opposing creatures in some situations, great skill!
    Mighty strike- prereq for maiming strike
    Maiming strike- Has some downsides:depends on magic stat and it has 200 mana cost, usable only on strong single stack, situational, but can come in handy.

Defence

Abilities of choice:
    Vengance- increases eficiency of counter strike and taunt combo
    Counter strike- Your units retaliate twice per turn, passive skill! Good combo with taunt and weaver's baleful gaze or vampires attacking live units so they can heal.

Prime

Abilities of choice:
    See * at the begining, none or soul mark!

Last edited by BrutusMaximus; 10.01.15 at 18:06. Reason: Update
    Heroes:
    -Falusonius, Haven Cleric 30+, Guild Excessum
    -MalusLupus, Necropolis DK 30+, Guild Excessum

Server
    DE01
    Good job m8 on the guide, i will link it on our website.

Btw for those who dont know Agrathsar = Khebeln. Im the same person for those who asked
    Agrathsar - Lv 45 Necromancer
    Agrathzar - Lv 28 Knight

Server
    DE01
    Great job!

Server
    DE01
    thks

Server
    DE01
    Another update up, DK skills, default army, and a video are up. Knight pics and more videos coming soon!
    Last edited by BrutusMaximus; 12.11.14 at 21:06.
    Heroes:

Server
    DE01
    i think can defeat abyssal worm easy by coop.each hero just need 1 troop (just 1, not a stack).1st hero use santuary on a troop when another one hit boss.After 2 round when santuary fade,2nd one cast it again.so 1st one have time for cooldown this.key is protect troop with santuary and hit boss by hero strike, ur troop just need deffensive .u just need to care of ur mana, bring some potion. if have 2 cleric it faster

Server
    DE01
    This is a good guide, but my tactics are a bit different from the ones written here.

Here's my guide! Having only a Heal Core spell, as a knight, could be a big problem mid-end game. The numbers, written with red, next to the skill, are representing the order of the skill when it should be learned by your hero. 3 ranged units and 3 melee units in composition. Use core for starters and upgrade in time with elites. If you can afford it, get a champion stack in that 3 melee units as well. Also, if you afford it, you can upgrade the units, but I don't recommend it.

Last edited by ToniG; 02.01.15 at 00:49.

Server
    DE01
    Hi Tony G,
    thank you for your guide but i think it has some weak spots that i would like to explain:

First you do not have sanctuary, and that is good tactic skill since it can block choke points while your tank is defending in them.
    You missed Taunt, which is also very usefull skill when the enemy reaches your troops.
    Sundering and heroism are highly mana costly spells, and later in the game you want to focus on might def and luck more then on spirit so it is kind of a problem (on my DK i have only 250 mana becouse i traded it all for might, def and luck items, currently around 3k might 2,5k def 1,1 k luck, planing to go for 4k might 2,8k def 1,2 k luck)
    Mighty strike is hard to use for the same reason as above.
    Raise shields is also situational shout so its wasted most of time.
    Empowered bold is not used even by mages, adleast for PvE, so its totaly wortless here.

I hope you dont mind my critisism, if you want we can discus my build or builds i can further explain why i chose some of the skills you see in them, and if you or anyone else has more questions please post here.

Kind regards,
    Falu
    Heroes:

Server
    DE01
    Don't worry, mate! I always accept and encourage constructive critics and I want to thank you for taking your time and wrote a feedback on what I've written above.

Now here's my counter-feedback for it. :P

Sanctuary: Yes, you are right and maybe if I'll choose to reset my abilities I will consider geting it!
    Taunt: Not really since I preffer to use other spells, during a battle, instead of this.
    Sundering & Heroism: You're right, but I'll take my chance with it. The reason I'm doing this is because I preffer an ATT-DEF-Spirit instead of an ATT-DEF-Luck (artefacts) for my hero to balance the skills a bit.
    Mighty Strike, Heroism and Empowered Bolt: There are some skills that "need" to be learned in order to unlock high tier spells for your hero (IV and V). Having too few good valid options to learn from that skill tree, I've sticked with those.

Cheers!

Server
    DE01
    Hi again ToniG, i see your idea, but since might heroes unfortunately play only 1 turn per round my opinion is that even if you get enough mana you cannot utilize spells enough to counter the value of pure luck. It would be a more interesting play expirience if they chose to give might heroes 2 turns per round and then your build would make much more sense. Its only my opinion tho so have fun playing in your style
    Heroes:

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast