Thread: Simple Solution for the loss of troops due to disconnect errors

Server
    DE01

Simple Solution for the loss of troops due to disconnect errors

I believe that most of the people who played for at least 1 or 2 weeks have had the unpleasant experience of loosing troops because got disconnected in the middle of a fight. I experienced that for a couple of times, loosing even event units, like drifting faceless.

I want to say that I don't know how the code for the game was done, and I never saw the code before. What I'll propose here is based on a logical thinking. I have some understanding of programming.

The Problem

If you get disconnected in the middle of the battle for whatever the reason (internet issues, invalid session error, energy blackout, etc), sometimes when you are back, the game thinks you have retreated from the battle and you eventually loose troops because of that.

The Situation

If you normally retreat from a battle, you are prompted with only 2 options. There is no other thing to choose.

1-) Loose Troops
    2-) Loose Gold

Considering the problem as I described above, if you don't choose any of those 2 options and the game still think that the battle was over, the game will consider the 1st option.

For anyone who has some programming knowledge, following a logical thinking, it clearly shows that the 1st option is actually the "default" option (which means that when no option is chosen (in the case of disconnect in the middle of the battle for example), the "default" option will be considered.

The Solution

Following all this logic, a simple way that I think could fix the problem is to not use "Loss of Troops" as default option. Instead, use default option for "No loss of troops" (like if the battle didn't even happen) and only if the person really finish the battle and choose loss of gold or loss of troops, then that information will be read and the appropriate routine will be triggered.

From my programming experience, I know that this kind of change it's pretty easy and simple to be done, if the code was made in a organized and well documented way, which I believe it was, coming from a big company.

Please, feel free to show any mistake I may have done about this or any suggestion that could improve this idea.

Server
    DE01
    Hello Leraf,

The loss of troops has been set as default option because if the player does not have enough gold left, the system won’t be able to apply the retreat penalty. And this would be exploitable.

Server
    DE01
    Then, can we set "Lose Gold" as default and check if they have enough gold, they will lose gold, else, they will lose troops instead?
    Hibernating and waiting for Black Dragons

Server
    DE01
    Hi Syltom,

That would be an idea indeed, I will forward it along with the original feedback of Leraf.

Server
    DE01
    Thank you for your concern about the topic Eraya.

Syltom's alternative is indeed pretty good too, it would help a lot but won't fix the problem completely.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on what I said and I realized that only after posting the thread.
    What I meant for the solution was about creating a 3rd option, that would be the "default" one, "no troop loss". But not like an option for the players in the game.
    Should be just like a internal routine from the program.

We know that the person needs to choose either loose gold or troops if the retreat option is correctly finished. If the game specifically needed to read that information to choose what to do, then if the battle is over (because a crash, disconnect or any other error) and neither one of the options has been chosen, it's clearly because the battle wasn't finished normally, and that implies to a disconnect or something like that (not fault of the player).

So a "default" option for no loss of troops, would be chosen and only chosen, if the game couldn't see if the player want to loose gold or troops. I can't imagine any way where that could be exploited because it would be an internal routine. Players wouldn't be able to see the difference, because the layout of the retreat option and the options itself would be exactly the same.

To resume all of this, my idea was not about choosing between troops or gold as default option, but to create a 3rd option for no loss of troops and make for the game the need to specifically read what the player has been chosen when retreating, if the game can't read that information and the battle was over, it means that the player suffered a disconnection for whatever the reason.

But anyway, I appreciate for the concern about the issue.

Ps.: It seems funny, but just yesterday I lost liches and spiders for this kind of problem, 3 times in the same day.

Server
    DE01
    Quote Originally Posted by Leraf View Post
    Thank you for your concern about the topic Eraya.

Syltom's alternative is indeed pretty good too, it would help a lot but won't fix the problem completely.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on what I said and I realized that only after posting the thread.
    What I meant for the solution was about creating a 3rd option, that would be the "default" one, "no troop loss". But not like an option for the players in the game.
    Should be just like a internal routine from the program.

We know that the person needs to choose either loose gold or troops if the retreat option is correctly finished. If the game specifically needed to read that information to choose what to do, then if the battle is over (because a crash, disconnect or any other error) and neither one of the options has been chosen, it's clearly because the battle wasn't finished normally, and that implies to a disconnect or something like that (not fault of the player).

So a "default" option for no loss of troops, would be chosen and only chosen, if the game couldn't see if the player want to loose gold or troops. I can't imagine any way where that could be exploited because it would be an internal routine. Players wouldn't be able to see the difference, because the layout of the retreat option and the options itself would be exactly the same.

To resume all of this, my idea was not about choosing between troops or gold as default option, but to create a 3rd option for no loss of troops and make for the game the need to specifically read what the player has been chosen when retreating, if the game can't read that information and the battle was over, it means that the player suffered a disconnection for whatever the reason.

But anyway, I appreciate for the concern about the issue.

Ps.: It seems funny, but just yesterday I lost liches and spiders for this kind of problem, 3 times in the same day.
    Maybe a third option, if the game can't read and apply what the player normally chooses when retreating, could be that no battle took place at all, nothing happened, and everything is reset back to the pre-fight status if a physical choice is not made? Yes, you may well lose the benefit of players using seals to replay fights but might this not be better than disgruntled players at least until the current on-going problems are sorted out?

Server
    DE01
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara_ View Post
    Maybe a third option, if the game can't read and apply what the player normally chooses when retreating, could be that no battle took place at all, nothing happened, and everything is reset back to the pre-fight status if a physical choice is not made? Yes, you may well lose the benefit of players using seals to replay fights but might this not be better than disgruntled players at least until the current on-going problems are sorted out?
    I fully agree with this option, in the past week, I have lost event troops due to Session Invalid errors or due to refreshing when no icons appear at the bottom of the screen. I can clear my caches before every login, try multiple browsers and the issue is still the same. It is a real let down to lose troops unwillingly with no choice in the matter. Sometimes you end up being reset to a time just before the battle but this seems to be a rare occurrence.

And really, they will not miss the benefit of players using seals to replay the fights because if the fight never happened, it means the player has to do it again which will provide that opportunity once more. The gold idea is a good one too because I never let gold decrease below 50k just as a precaution for cases where I might want to retry to surrender. I can see how it could be exploited since a player could purposely crash their browser to save their troops but they still don't get any credit for the battle so who really cares. After having that happen a few times, they will likely get themselves a retry licence.

The other bug that NEEDS to be fixed is the surrender one that allows the enemy to attack after you accept the surrender. Why can't the battle just end immediately upon selecting "Yes" to the enemy surrender. There is no need to even finish the turns.

I just feel it is ridiculous that players can lose troops without even doing anything and when it comes to event troops, it really isn't fair to the players. And if the solution is to "not use your event creatures", why bother with events? And then this just puts me to the topic of guild dwellings, the costs to build some of these are completely out of whack. You can't even buy prestige with hero seals so those buildings will take a long time to get done. If you have 50 guild members and the two non-treasure guild quests are collected daily, it would take a month and a half to build a prestige type building. The only other way is to farm low level raids which if you do in 5 minutes with 5 guild members, it would take 75 hours of farming to get.

If you look at the cost to build a dragonsteel building using hero seals, it would cost 750 USD total. And that is just one building in the guild, seems a bit on the high side to me and expeditions have been purposely setup to grant little resources to help put towards these dwellings. Each expedition battle should be providing dragonsteel along with either dust, orbs or spheres with a rare chance to have an artefact drop. I do like the expeditions but it is so much effort for so little reward and I have only fought in battles up to level 30. I can't imagine how unrewarding higher than that can be. I know this isn't the right thread for this but it does tie into this bug since for many players, it is quite hard to replace the troops they gain in events.
    Chromatic