Reply to Thread

Thread: HowTo - Playing 100% safe with Drifting Faceless

Server
    DE01

HowTo - Playing 100% safe with Drifting Faceless

Even players who just started using the event unit "Drifting Faceless" quickly realize about their current bugs, and there are many of them...

We all have been arguing and asking for changes and fixes about that, since I believe that those bugs related to faceless, accounts for a significant amount of troop losses for many mid and high level players.

However, until they fix all those bugs we either find a way of dealing with them or we stop playing with Faceless (I've chosen the first option for me) ... after countless battles with them, after many feedbacks from other players, after reading some comments in the forum and learning from friends and guildies, I reached a point where I can play a 100% safe with them ..... I would like to share all the info I gathered, so other players won't suffer any losses because of those bugs.

To begin, I want to emphasize that the extra-turn bug is triggered in many different but specific situations ... all you have to do, is to avoid those situations.

All the situations I'll describe bellow can or can't trigger the bug, most of the time it does .... if you always avoid them, you'll never have any problem ever again.

There are 2 main factors that triggers the bug:
    Enemy retreats when you are playing with a controlled stack and it is their 2nd turn.
    At their 2nd turn you move and hit "defense mode" and any of your units are in range (either melee or for ranged damage) (including other controlled stacks)
    I learned from this forum and from guildies and friends, that if you "move" the controlled stack, and then "attack" in different actions (not a single click), you can avoid that bug .... it work and at the same time it doesn't .... after a while I realized what really seems to be going on with this tactic and how to work around for every specific situation.

So, the reason for the tactic above to work is because moving and attacking in different actions will make the controlled stack loose the ability to "move again" when they get the extra-turn due to the bug (that's why people say this works only for melee units, ranged units may shoot at you from distance without the need of moving any further).

Based on those 2 last information we can plan our tactics in battles to fully avoid any dangerous situation.

This is what you need to pay attention to:

- Most important, get used to always move first before clicking to attack no matter what, so you'll never forget this main tactic. Without this nothing else bellow will really work.
    - Give preference to control melee units or at least, ranged units that has low-range attacks (range of 3 or less).
    - If you really have to control a ranged unit with long-range attack, like a huge stack of void-corrupted heralds, seductive succubi or black fang sniper for example, be sure to use both their turns as soon as possible (with warlord's command) before enemy get so low on numbers that they'll want to retreat.
    - On the second turn of a controlled stack, never, ever move it to an adjacent hex of your units (including other controlled stacks) ... if they retreat at that moment, your stack will suffer the extra-attack of the bug (it can happens even when they don't retreat and no matter did you moved before attacking or not).
    - If it's the second turn of a controlled ranged stack, be sure to move it in a way that will be out-of-range for any of your own stacks (if they retreat, the bug may happen, however as I previously explained, if you moved first before attacking the stack won't be able to move any further and you'll be safe.
    - Regarding the tip above, if you are in a situation where you can't move the controlled ranged unit out-of-range from your own stacks, and you are feeling they'll retreat with that attack .... simply move near another enemy in melee range and do a melee-attack ... they will get extra-turn, but won't be able to shoot. (This works only if the enemy you attacked in melee won't die completely, the enemy stack needs to survive).
    • Note: That won't work for some specific ranged special abilities, like the one from Black Fang Sniper for example.
    - Careful controlling enemies like Black Fang Bandit or Void-Corrupted Witches, although they are melee units, they have a ranged special ability. In that case, follow the advices above (or simply use their ability when you are controlling, so it'll be on cooldown when the control is gone.
    - Never, ever trust the turn order AFTER you control an enemy stack (it'll be most likely wrong) ... however you can trust 100% in the turn order BEFORE you controlled anything ... memorize the turn order before you control the stacks (that's really important if you'll control an enemy that has 2 or more stacks of the same unit or enemies with the same initiative value).
    - Turn order in a co-op battle may be really hard to plan, sometimes all your units and from your partner plays first and you just can't see the enemy turns yet .... in that case, avoid controlling units that has 2 or more stacks of the same type or same initiative value, or if you need to get them, get all of them or blind / torpor / pacify the others of the same type. As mentioned above, you won't be able to trust in the turn order after you controlled those units.

After considering all those factors on my battles, I have never lost a single unit again by that faceless extra-turn bug, except when I forgot one of those rules or by my own mistakes.

Note: All those tips are related to the current faceless bugs ... Is not my intention to explain the basics of playing with faceless like "don't let controlled stacks being hit" and things like that.

Note 2: If you just started playing with Drifting Faceless, all of this information may feel quite confusing .... my advice is: Go play with them, get used with their mechanics and basic tactics ... after you already feel confident with them, and already knows how to control, how to consider turn order, how to avoid a controlled stack being hit ... then, come back here and read about all those tips above.

If there is any other situation you may know, that is not listed here, or if you want to contribute with anything that I didn't mention, please feel free to reply
    Last edited by Leraf; 20.03.16 at 01:32.
    Leraf Necromancer - level 30 (78)
    Lerafy Cleric - level 30 (21)

Guild FurElise

Server
    DE01
    Awesome post thanks Leraf !

Server
    DE01
    its a very good post i even learnt a thing or two.
    i think its worth mention that sometimes when they surender other enemys get to play there turn as well, so you might get hit by them. so far i did not find a way to avoid that.

Server
    DE01
    Quote Originally Posted by liorm13 View Post
    its a very good post i even learnt a thing or two.
    i think its worth mention that sometimes when they surender other enemys get to play there turn as well, so you might get hit by them. so far i did not find a way to avoid that.
    That's pretty rare to happen, I know what you mean, they surrender when they are playing, which means all of them play until your next unit or hero turn.

But that's about Faceless' basic tactics .... you have to let your controlled units out of reach of those who will play after them, and crowd control anything that plays before them (blindness, slow, night shroud, torpor, pacify, time stasis, etc) .... otherwise, just control the ones with higher initiative, so you won't ever be in that situation.
    Leraf Necromancer - level 30 (78)
    Lerafy Cleric - level 30 (21)

Guild FurElise

Reply to Thread